a free music marketing and music promotion ezine for musician

Home · About · Articles · Books · Free Stuff · Links · Subscribe


Cats Know Good Music Promotion When They Hear It

I’ve never gotten so much free publicity before!

Two years ago, I came up with a crazy idea for a new CD–Irish Drinking Songs for Cat Lovers. Say what you will about the idea: maybe I am “psycho” or “drink too much”. Maybe the lyrics suck, or this is “the dumbest idea” you’ve ever heard. You’re welcome to your opinion. Meanwhile, I am recording a CD that cat lovers are talking about.

You probably read it before: “when marketing your music, target your message”.

But what exactly does that mean?It means that you should focus your message towards a specific audience. For many bands, your niche is your fan base.

In my case, I have a tiny niche: Do you love cats? Do you like Irish music? That’s it. If you’re a dog lover, you’re probably moaning. If you hate the Irish, you probably think I’m an alcoholic.

Yet there’s something about this idea that is brilliant. It inspires a response. People love it or hate it. But it gets a response.

You see, most of the cat lovers I know LOVE cats. They are passionate about them. Most Celtic music fans too are passionate about Celtic music. I’ve taken those two ideas and created an idea that motivates people to take an interest.

Don’t believe me? Check out Fark.com where I got 20,000 visits in one week, Peoplesound,MonkeyFilter, and any number of burgeoning web communities who saw this idea and wrote about it. 95% of the respondents on Fark.com said I was stupid. The other 5% signed up to my newsletter and are telling their cat loving friends about it.

Some of the most hair-brained ideas are the ones that turn into the biggest money makers. I mean, hey, anyone ever heard of Apple Computers? The idea of a personal computer was once laughed at. Now look at them.I’m not saying my CD will do nearly as well as that giant. My target niche may even be too focused to really make much money from the CD. But when the CD is finally released I’m guaranteed to continue getting some of the best publicity of my musical career.

 

Marc Gunn is an actual working Celtic Geek musician. He was nicknamed “The Celtfather” for his incredible support of indie Celtic music and his award-winning Irish and Celtic Music Podcast. He has helped 1000s of musicians make money with their musical groups through The Bards Crier Music Marketing Ezine. Now you can get FREE “how-to” music marketing and promotion advice, plus tips on how to sell more CDs when you subscribe today. Subscribe atwww.bardscrier.com!

Lack of Education Will Cost Your Band Dearly

Subscribe to The Bards Crier to learn how to successfully promote your unsigned band's music. Your musical success depends on it.
ACT NOW, while it is still FREE!



Indie Contact Bible: Promote Your Band Throughout the World


Guerilla Music Marketing Handbook - 201 Ways to turbo charge your Indie music promotion


How to be Your own Booking Agent and Save 1000s of Dollars

© 2000-2014 Marc Gunn -- Austin, Texas

· Celtic Songs & Folk Music Downloads · Brobdingnagian Bards · Free Music Music Marketing Tips · Autoharp Music